Sunday, June 1, 2008
Kids Today - The "ME" Generation?
I never thought that at age 33 I would be saying things like, "What's the matter with kids today?" Here I am, though, sounding just like my grandpa! I find myself looking at my kids and their peers and realizing that our society seems to be creating a whole new generation of kids that think the world revolves around them. It seems they expect everyone and everything to give them what they want and keep them entertained 24/7. For instance, how often do you hear kids saying that they're "bored" or see kids acting out because they "have else nothing to do"? How often have you been at a store and seen a parent buy a toy for their child only to hear the child complain that they want something else, too? Or how many of you have kids who expect to get an allowance for being part of the family (i.e., keeping rooms clean, putting away laundry)? What happened to kids behaving themselves, bored or not, being thankful for what they have instead of complaining about what they don't and being helpful to the family just because it's the right thing to do? Is this the same with every generation or are our kids becoming more spoiled as time goes on? My kids don't have as much as their peers (yes, there are 4th graders with ipods and cell phones!) and I don't pay allowances, yet I find that they (the 10 year old in particular) still have the same mindset - I want this, I want it now, I want to be entertained, I don't want to work to earn things... I'm wondering if I am the only one seeing this and wondering how everyone else is dealing with it? Parents need to step up to the plate or we're going to be in a heap of trouble in 20 years. We're going to have a society full of spoiled quasi-adults who don't know how to work and get along in life on their own!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are 100% correct Amanda! The world is raising a collection of kids that have no respect for ANYTHING, and, yes, they want it all. There are no consequences to anything. The reason for all of this? We took the Bible out of school. Kids do not have any moral "compass" whatsoever.
We have raised our boy completely on Christian priciples. Yes, it is hard, but people (Christians and non-Christians) are "amazed" on how polite and mannerly he is. He calls adults by their last name. He says please and thank you.
Several things have helped through the years. Not watching TV is a biggie. He does watch old shows like Andy Griffith or I Love Lucy occasionally, but he really has no interest in TV.
He has been heavily involved in the Church since he was little. When he was about 6, he would hold "services" in his room, complete with Praise and Worship.
Every night before bed since he could talk, he has prayed.
The verse from Proverbs "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it" still stands today. My son is living proof. He is 18 now, and still the same. Yes, he may be disabled, but even if he wasn't the same would still hold true.
I feel sorry for people who do not know the Lord and have no clue on how to raise their children.
It's all in the instruction book!
Post a Comment